Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lasagna for Dinner!


I guess about my favorite thing that I make is my Lasagna. I found a recipe about 15 years ago in the good ol' Betty Crocker Cookbook, but I've since made enough adjustments so that I can truly call it "MY" lasagna. In fact, I usually don't measure stuff, so this was weird! I love lasagna cause it makes this big pan and you can have it for dinner, lunch the next couple of days, midnight snacks, take some to work for friends....whatever! And it just always turns out good. Put some spinach in it if you need veggies, or have veggies with my cheese dip. Now the story of the cheese dip is this...there is a restaurant in ..well maybe I'd better not say...anyway, SUPPOSEDLY, one of the employees let slip to a friend of a friend of mine the "secret" recipe for their cheese dip, who let it slip to me. For a really long time, I didn't share it, but now...oh well... I can't see a restaurant really making the dip this way, although you never know. I have included that recipe as well, cause it's really good. Also, here is a picture of the actual lasagna and cheese dip I made tonight, just to tempt you. So, without further ado.....bon appetit!

Here is my Lasagna recipe:

1 lb of Italian Sausage, crumbled
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
Brown these all together, drain if necessary, then add:


2 cans diced tomatoes (15 oz)
1 can tomato paste (small)
1 tomato paste can of water
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp parsley
1 tsp basil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder

stir it all up, turn heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 1/2 hour.


Meanwhile, mix:


1 lb ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tbsp oregano
1 egg


put the layers together in a 13 x 9 pan sprayed with cooking spray

Like so:
  • lasagna noodles cooked al dente and drained (cook 9, use 3 at a time)

  • sauce

  • ricotta cheese mixture

  • mozzarella cheese (lots of it! I use about 4 1/2 cups total)
repeat,

end with noodles, sauce and mozzarella on top


Cover with foil, bake at 450 for 15 min then turn down to 350 for 45 min. I take the foil off for the last 10 min to let the cheese get brown and bubbly.
Let stand for about 5 min, if you can wait, then serve.

YUM!




Cheese Dip for Veggies

This is awesome with Italian food, or just any old time!

2 packages Kraft Mac & Cheese (Kraft is the best)
2 bars of cream cheese
garlic powder to taste, I use about 1/4 tsp

soften the cream cheese*

put about a tablespoon of water in a bowl and mix in the garlic powder and the cheese sauce powder from the Mac & Cheese. Make a necklace out of the macaroni, if desired!

Mix till smooth and then add the softened cream cheese.

Smoosh it all around and mix really well. Put in fridge overnight. Eat with favorite veggies.
Try to not eat too much!


*I have used the soft cream cheese before. It's easier, but it's just not as good.

No comments: