Sunday, February 9, 2014

One happy moment at a time

Greetings from frozen Indiana. Can't believe it's February already. Time for my very least favorite holiday...Valentine's Day. Never has worked out great for me, so I usually choose to ignore it. Everything but the chocolate, of course, once it goes on sale at Kroger!

Woke up at 4:30 this morning for some reason. Made coffee, drank a couple of cups, then laid down on the couch and went back to sleep. 

I dreamed that I was at work (although it wasn't really my work..you know how dreams are!) and my grandmother, Mema, who has been dead since 1995, came to me and told me that I was going to die tomorrow. (Not tomorrow, tomorrow, but tomorrow in the dream...at least I hope so!)  She said I would die in the bathroom down the hall from my office. I won't bore you with too many details but let's just say I spent a lot of time in the dream looking for a bathroom without electricity! Eventually, an earthquake did me in, and I realized I had, indeed, passed on, as only she and my boss could see me. Just goes to show you can't escape your boss no matter what you do! Finally, thank God, I woke up. 

But I am troubled. I have been seriously thinking about this dream, and have been wondering...what would I do if I really did know it was my last day on earth? I know that any day could be for any of us, but if we had warning. What would we do? What would I do? Go spend the money I put aside for bills? Probably. Go to the Golden Corral and eat everything in sight..definitely. Spend time with my daughter, absolutely! 

In my dream, though, after the initial denial and running away from electrical things, and the bargaining, there came a point where I accepted what was happening, and turned to the "future" with hope and peace, and almost a sense of excitement. Seeing Mema again, well, that was a good sign, because I'm sure my Mema went to Heaven. I don't think she would have it in her to come collect me from my life only to deposit my soul at the gates of Hell! It really made me think about the afterlife..believing in God. I know a lot of the time I don't act like I should..and probably if you looked at my life you would laugh if someone told you I am a Christian.  I am, but this isn't about that...

What would you do if you KNEW it was your last day to live? Nickelback did a song that has always made me think about it..

If today was your last day
Would you make your mark by mending a broken heart?
You know it's never too late to shoot for the stars
Regardless of who you are
So do whatever it takes
'Cause you can't rewind a moment in this life
Let nothin' stand in your way
Cause the hands of time are never on your side

Complete song and lyrics here.

But you know..I go through so much of my life thinking..oh, tomorrow I'll do the art I have always wanted to do. I'll paint that picture, I'll do that craft, I'll tell someone I love them, I'll tell someone I DON'T love them, I'll be happy...tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow. 

This dream has made me realize...today is what counts. I am going to do something that makes me happy TODAY! Even if it's just cleaning off my art table to get it ready to paint something. That's what I'm going to do. Too much time is used working and being unhappy, and today could be the last day. I'm not saying sell everything and move up to the mountains to wait on the end of the world. But do something that makes you happy every single day! Maybe we could make the world a better place, one happy moment at a time!

What would YOU do?


1 comment:

Bob Gallant said...

I would tell you what a great blog post this is, and how we should all follow your advice. I would tell you how much I love you and how much your friendship has meant to me through the years. I would restring my old guitar and start playing and writing all kinds of new and old songs. I would take an extra moment to contemplate the wonders of this world and this life, and continue to try to understand what this life is all about. Elwood